Ourfamily originsThe history of the Pierino Vellano Winery has very ancient origins, more specifically, the first data go back to the fall of Charles V in Italy in the 16th century, when the Vellano family, of Borgognona origin, was following the emperor who had repaid them for the services rendered with lands which were immediately planted with vines. It was then that the first cellar was built, digging in the tuff rock, which was exploited until the end of the 17th century when the second cellar was built, now the home of the SPA Acquavitae.
A third wine cellar was built in 1867 and was soon renamed Cantinone (big cellar), as it was not a single cellar but three connected cellars. In fact, Dionigi Ruggero Damonte, great-uncle of the current owner, had to build it for his three grandchildren who were unable to work in harmony and cooperation.
A few decades passed when, in 1940, upon the death of great-grandfather Maurizio, called Lotu, a large man of 130 kg 1.90m tall, famous for being able to pour wine from a 12-liter bottle into a glass without pouring even a drop, the estate is divided between his 8 children and was greatly reduced in size and prestige.
Only one of the sons, Giovanni, known as Gioanot, decided to continue with the oenological activity which was subsequently expanded by his son Pierino, known as Pierin, who decided in 1961 to move the activity to the new cellar in the valley below. That same year Maurizio, the current owner, was born; he initially embarked on a journey away from the world of oenology, first by opening a software house and then moving on to the autotronics. Returning from long periods abroad, Maurizio, together with his wife Daniela, finally decided to follow in his father’s footsteps and to invest in wine tourism and, therefore, to transform the family business from the only small Cantina Pierino Vellano into Ca’ San Sebastiano Wine Resort & SPA.